Alex De Minaur
Alex De Minaur is currently Australia’s most exciting male tennis prospect.
The 18-year-old announced himself to the Australian public through the summer with good wins in Brisbane and Sydney, culminating in a first-round win at the 2017 Australian Open.
He has had a stellar junior career including a number 2 world ranking and runner-up at the Wimbledon 2016 Junior Boy’s Singles.
Alex, although still eligible for juniors, is now concentrating on his climb up the men’s world rankings.
ATP world ranking
• 2017 Current world ranking 228
• 2016 End of year world ranking 351
• 2015 End of year world ranking 1551
• 2017 Won Australian Open Men’s main draw first round
• 2017 Qualified for Brisbane International Men’s main draw
• 2017 Round of 16 Sydney International Men’s main draw
• 2016 First professional final ATP Eckental Challenger, Germany
• 2016 Wimbledon Boy’s singles finalist
• 2015 Junior Davis Cup finalist
• 2015 US Open Boy’s singles semi-finalist
• 2014 Under 16 Australian Champion
• 2013 Under 14 Australian Champion
What he brings
At only 18 years of age, Alex is a mature and charismatic young player with an excellent future in the game, already having a significant following amongst tennis and sports fans, worldwide.
A well-balanced teenager, Alex presents as a fighter with true Australian spirit. His nickname amongst the Australian players is “Demon”, owing to his intensity on court.
Australian Davis Cup captain Lleyton Hewitt is a big fan of Alex:
“He’s got a really good attitude, a great work ethic, and he’s open to listening and learning. He wants to pick up every bit of information he can. Tennis is the major priority for him, I’ve been really impressed.”
Another Australian legend Rod Laver has also commented on Alex, after watching him play at the 2017 Australian Open:
“I was very impressed. His focus and concentration was great.”
Having spent much of his youth growing up in Spain, Alex is fluent in English, Spanish and French, with a strong following in each of these international markets.